Rio de Janeiro, August 9, 2016 - Brazil's Evandro Goncalves/Pedro Solberg and Canada's Ben Saxton/Chaim Schalk start off day four in a pool D match. Both teams lost their opener and need a win to avoid missing the elimination stage.
Head to Head
Evandro Goncalves/Pedro Solberg won the only meeting between these two teams on the FIVB World Tour in June at the Hamburg Major, 21-19 and 21-8 in 32 minutes in the round of 24.
Historically the #4 seed has won two of the three matches against the #16 seed in the Olympic Games. The higer seed won in straight sets in London (2012) and Athens (2004) while the lower seed pulled the upset in three sets in Beijing (2008).
Evandro Goncalves/Pedro Solberg, Brazil, Seed #4, Pool D, 0-1, 0.500 Set Ratio, 0.9667 Point Ratio Qualified as Host Nation Representative
• Evandro: July 17, 1990 (26y0m20d), 210 cm (6'11"), 105 kg (233 lbs.), Hometown Rio de Janeiro, 53rd FIVB World Tour event, three gold medals, $316,900 career winnings (ranks 60th)
• Pedro: March 27, 1986 (30y4m10d), 194 cm (6'4"), 95 kg (211 lbs.), Hometown Rio de Janeiro, 132nd FIVB World Tour event (ranks 30th), 16 gold medals (ranks 9th), $916,962 career winnings (ranks 7th)
• Evandro and Pedro have been playing together since 2015. They are playing in their 20th FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour tournament together, two gold medals, $411,000 career winnings (ranks 44th).
• Evandro has played in nine FIVB World Tour final fours with three gold, four silver and two bronze medals.
• Pedro has played in 48 FIVB World Tour final fours with 16 gold, 10 silver, 10 bronze medals and 12 4th place finishes.
• Evandro and Pedro have played in seven Final Fours in 2015-2016 (Silver Moscow Grand Slam 2015, Gold Stavanger Major 2015, Bronze World Championships 2015, Bronze World Tour Finals 2015, Silver Maceió Open 2016, Silver Rio de Janeiro Grand Slam 2016, Gold Gstaad Major 2016).
• Evandro and Pedro won the bronze medal in the FIVB World Championships in 2015 (The Hague).
• Evandro finished 5th in the FIVB World Championships with Vitor Felipe in 2013 (Stare Jablonki).
• Pedro finished 17th in the FIVB World Championships with Harley Marques in 2007 (Gstaad) 17th with Pedro Cunha in 2009 (Stavanger), 5th with Rhooney Ferramenta in 2011 (Rome), and 5th with Bruno Oscar Schmidt in 2013 (Stare Jablonki).
• Evandro and Pedro are currently ranked 14th in FIVB World Tour points in 2016 with 3,890 points and 4th in winnings with $166,000.
• Evandro and Pedro have a career 74-35 (67.9%) match record in FIVB World Tour Events, all in 2015-16.
• Pedro won the gold medal at the U18 World Championships (Xylokastro, Greece) and the silver medal in 2003 (Pattaya, Thailand), both with Ian Borges.
• Pedro won the gold medal at the U21 World Championships with Pedro Cunha in 2003 (Saint Quay Portrieux, France), the bronze medal with Neilton Santos in 2004 (Porto Santo, Portugal), and the gold medal with Bruno Oscar Schmidt in 2006 (Myslowice, Poland).
• Evandro won a gold medal with Vitor Felipe on the South American (CSV) Continental Tour in 2013 (Chile).
• Evandro was named the FIVB World Tour Best Server in 2015.
• Pedro was named the FIVB World Tour Best Blocker in 2013 and was Team of the Year and Tour Points Champion with Harley Marques in 2008.
• Pedro hails from a volleyball family - sisters Carolina and Maria Clara have played on the women’s World Tour and his mother, Isabel, is a former winner on the circuit
• Lost to Nivaldo Diaz / Sergio Gonzalez, Cuba (21), 22-24, 23-21, and 13-15 in 59 minutes.
Ben Saxton/Chaim Schalk, Canada, Seed #16, Pool D, 0-1, 0.500 Set Ratio, 0.9444 Point Ratio Qualified 16th with 4,820 Points in the 2015-16 Olympic qualification period
• Ben: November 21, 1988 (27y8m16d), 200 cm (6'7"), 92 kg (204 lbs.), Hometown Calgary, 79th FIVB World Tour event, $239,037 career winnings (ranks 88th)
• Chaim: April 23, 1986 (30y3m14d), 196 cm (6'5"), 88 kg (195 lbs.), Hometown Red Deer, Alberta, 59th FIVB World Tour event, $218,912 career winnings (ranks 94th)
• Ben and Chaim have been playing together since 2013. They are playing in their 47th FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour tournament together (ranks 58th), $433,825 career winnings (ranks 41st).
• Ben has played in five FIVB World Tour final fours with one silver medal and four bronze medals.
• Chaim has played in five FIVB World Tour final fours with one silver medal and four bronze medals.
• Ben and Chaim have played in four Final Fours in 2015-2016 (Silver Yokohama Grand Slam 2015, Bronze Olsztyn Grand Slam 2015, Bronze Porec Major 2016, Bronze Klagenfurt Major 2016).
• Ben and Chaim finished 5th in the FIVB World Championships in 2013 (Stare Jablonki) and 17th in 2015 (The Hague).
• Ben finished 17th in the FIVB World Championships with Christian Redmann in 2011 (Rome).
• Ben and Chaim are currently ranked 7th in FIVB World Tour points in 2016 with 4,400 points and 7th in winnings with $132,375.
• Ben and Chaim have a career 118-90 (56.7%) match record in FIVB World Tour Events and a 69-44 (61.1%) record in 2015-16.
• Ben and Chaim won two gold medals on the NORCECA Continental Tour in (2012 Chula Vista, United States) and (2014 Turtle Beach, Trinidad and Tobago).
• Ben teamed with Christian Redmann to help Canada win a NORCECA Continental Cup berth in the London 2012 Olympics, but the pair lost a match in Toronto that sent Josh Binstock and Martin Reader to the London Summer Games
• Lost to Aleksandrs Samoilovs / Janis Smedins, Latvia (9), 17-21, 21-18, and 13-15 in 55 minutes.