Rio de Janeiro, August 10, 2016 - Argentina's Ana Gallay/Georgina Klug and Barbora Hermannova/Marketa Slukova of the Czech Republic will both be looking for their first pool B win as they wrap up the women's competition on day five. The losing team will be going home with a 19th-place finish. The winning team will finish 3rd in pool B and will either advance on a tie-breaker or have to play in the "lucky loser" matches on Thursday night.
Head to Head
The two teams have never met in FIVB World Tour competition.
Historically the #14 seed has won all three matches against the #23 seed in the Olympic Games.
• Vasiliki Arvaniti/Maria Tsiartsiani (14), Greece def. Anastasia Barsuk/Anna Vozakova (23), Russia, 18-21, 21-13, 15-12 in 51 minutes, Pool Play, London (2012).
• Dalixia Fernandez Grasset/Tamara Larrea Peraza (14), Cuba def. Chiaki Kusuhara/Mika Teru Saiki (23), Japan, 21-18, 21-17 in 41 minutes, Pool Play, Beijing (2008).
• Daniela Gattelli/Lucilla Perrotta (14), Italy def. Leigh-Ann Naidoo/Julia Willand (23), South Africa, 21-18, 21-14 in 46 minutes, Pool Play, Athens (2004).
Ana Gallay/Georgina Klug, Argentina, Seed #14, Pool B, 0-2, 0.000 Set Ratio, 0.6905 Point Ratio, Qualified 16th with 4,220 Points in the 2015-16 Olympic qualification period
• Ana: January 16, 1986 (30y6m21d), 173 cm (5'8"), 66 kg (147 lbs.), Hometown Nogoya, 51st FIVB World Tour event, $131,212 career winnings
• Georgina: June 11, 1984 (32y1m26d), 172 cm (5'8"), 63 kg (140 lbs.), Hometown Santa Fe, 46th FIVB World Tour event, $130,737 career winnings
• Ana Gallay and Georgina Klug have been playing together since 2013. They are playing in their 45th FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour tournament together (ranks 66th), $258,725 career winnings (ranks 69th).
• Ana Gallay has played in five FIVB World Tour final fours with one silver medal and four 4th place finishes.
• Georgina has played in five FIVB World Tour final fours with one silver medal and four 4th place finishes.
• Ana and Georgina have played in five Final Fours in 2015-2016 (Silver Xiamen Open 2015, 4th Antalya Open 2015-16, 4th Maceió Open 2016, 4th Antalya Open 2016, 4th Klagenfurt Major 2016).
• Ana finished 19th in the Olympic Games with Virginia Zonta in 2012 (London).
• Ana and Georgina finished 37th in the FIVB World Championships in 2015 (The Hague).
• Ana and Georgina are currently ranked 9th in FIVB World Tour points in 2016 with 3,970 points and 17th in winnings with $80,825.
• Ana and Georgina have a career 117-98 (54.4%) match record in FIVB World Tour Events and a 64-54 (54.2%) record in 2015-16.
• Ana and Georgina have the only women's FIVB World Tour medal for Argentina (Silver Xiamen Open 2015).
• Ana and Georgina won the gold medal at the South American (CSV) Continental Championships in 2015 (Argentina)
• Ana and Georgina won the gold medal at the Pan American Games in 2015 (Toronto, Canada).
• Ana and Georgina won five gold, six silver, and one bronze medal on the CSV Continental Tour from 2013-15.
• Ana and Virginia Zonta won one gold, one silver, and two bronze medals on the CSV Continental Tour in 2013.
• Lost to Elsa Baquerizo/Liliana Fernandez, Spain (11), 11-21, 19-21 in 40 minutes
• Lost to Agatha Bednarczuk/Barbara Seixas, Brazil (2), 11-21 and 17-21 in 37 minutes.
Barbora Hermannova/Marketa Slukova, Czech Republic, Seed #23, Pool B, 0-2, 0.250 Set Ratio, 0.8557 Point Ratio, Qualified from Continental Cup Finals
• Barbora: November 7, 1990 (25y8m30d), 180 cm (5'11"), 73 kg (162 lbs.), Hometown Ostrava, 66th FIVB World Tour event, two gold medals, $81,937 career winnings
• Marketa: June 28, 1988 (28y1m9d), 180 cm (5'11"), 69 kg (153 lbs.), Hometown Prague, 77th FIVB World Tour event, three gold medals, $314,500 career winnings (ranks 50th)
• Barbora and Marketa have been playing together since 2015. They are playing in their 15th FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour tournament together, with one gold medal and $72,350 career winnings
• Barbora has played in two FIVB World Tour final fours with two gold medals.
• Marketa has played in six FIVB World Tour final fours with three gold medals, one bronze medal and two 4th place finishes.
• Barbora and Marketa have played in one Final Four in 2015-2016 (Gold Antalya Open 2015-16).
• Marketa finished 5th in the Olympic Games with Kristyna Kolocova in 2012 (London).
• Barbora finished 37th in the FIVB World Championships in 2013 (Stare Jablonki) and 33rd in 2015 (The Hague), both with Martina Bonnerova.
• Marketa finished 17th in the FIVB World Championships in 2011 (Rome) 17th in 2013 (Stare Jablonki), and 17th in 2015 (The Hague), all with Kristyna Kolocova.
• Barbora and Marketa are currently ranked 17th in FIVB World Tour points in 2016 with 2,960 points and 21st in winnings with $67,775.
• Barbora and Marketa have a career 38-27 (58.5%) match record in FIVB World Tour Events, all in 2015-16.
• Barbora and Marketa won the silver medal at the European (CEV) Continental Championship in 2016 (Biel, Switzerland).
• Marketa won a silver medal on the CEV Continental Tour with Kristyna Kolocova in 2011.
• Marketa was named the FIVB World Tour Top Rookie in 2010.
• Lost to Agatha Bednarczuk/Barbara Seixas, Brazil (2), 21-19, 17-21, and 11-15 in 57 minutes
• Lost to Elsa Baquerizo/Liliana Fernandez, Spain (11), 15-21 and 19-21 in 41 minutes.